Environmental contamination and natural resources damages liability
Environmental and natural resources legislation and regulation is a dynamic and ever-changing field requiring knowledgeable, dedicated advisors and litigators. Murphy Armstrong & Felton’s Environmental and Natural Resources Practice Group has extensive experience counseling clients throughout the Pacific Northwest in a wide-range of environmental and natural resource matters involving regulatory agencies, private party litigation, and transactions. Our clients include industrial companies having a wide-ranging array of operations including metal fabrication, petroleum blending and distribution, and seafood processing. We also represent institutional clients, port districts, trusts and trustees and individual property owners and are frequently retained by national insurers and claims adjusting firms to defend policy holders.
We provide our clients counseling and litigation services in all areas of environmental and natural resource law including:
- Defending clients in cost-recovery and contribution litigation and proceedings under CERCLA, Washington’s environmental clean-up and liability statute (MTCA) and Oregon’s Superfund Statute;
- Representing insurance carriers, underwriters and agents in environmental insurance coverage litigation and disputes;
- Representing clients in investigation and remediation efforts under the voluntary clean-up programs of Washington Department of Ecology and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality;
- Representing clients in creating and participating in private, multi-party environmental ADR proceedings and mediation;
- Counseling and representing clients in natural resource damages assessment proceedings and natural resource damages claims of federal, state and tribal trustees under CERCLA;
- Defending clients in response to citizen suits under the Clean Water Act and related state statutes; and
- Representing clients in toxic tort cases involving indoor air quality contamination in residential and commercial settings.
Environmental contamination and natural resource matters are often complex and involve over-lapping scientific and technical issues. Our attorneys have successfully represented clients in achieving their legal and regulatory goals in a cost-effective and efficient manner. Among our many accomplishments, we have successfully obtained an award of attorneys’ fees in defense of a federal Clean Water Act lawsuit and in the defense of environmental contamination litigation.
To learn more about Murphy Armstrong & Felton’s Environmental and Natural Resources services and some of its representative matters, please contact Murphy Armstrong & Felton at 206-985-9770.